Yetakelt w'et (spicy mixed vegetable stew)
Yetakelt w'et (spicy mixed vegetable stew) ingredients
- 1 c Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 T Berbere (dry)
- 1 T Sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 c Niter Kebbeh
- 1 c Green beans, cut in thirds
- 1 c Carrots, chopped
- 1 c potatoes, cubed
- 1 c Tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 c Tomato paste
- 2 c Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 c Chopped fresh parsley(OPT)
Cooking Yetakelt w'et (spicy mixed vegetable stew)
1. Sautei the onions, garlic, berbere, and paprika in the niter kebbeh for 2 minutes.
2. Add the beans, carrots, and potatoes and continue to saute for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable stock.
4. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender.
5. [personal comment: we simmered more like 40 minutes, until it eventually thickened.
6. ] add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Mixi in the parsley (optional).
8. Serve with injera and yogurt or cottage cheese.
9. Copied from "sundays at moosewood restaurant", the moosewood collective, isbn 0-671-67989-Comment from book: try making this dish and yemiser w"et for the same meal.
10. In ethiopia, it is customary to offer several stews at one time, and people eat some of each kind.
11. Comments from the shipps: don"t stop with just two dishes, make a banquet.
12. You will need several friends to help eat it all, but it will make for a very interesting and satisfying evening.
13. The moosewood book describes how to make a hearty vegetable stock.
14. We have found a vegetarian vegetable bouillon made by knorr that is a reasonable substitute with much less effort.