Topik (topig) ingredients
- 2 c Chick peas
- 1 large potato
- 4 lb Onions
- 1⁄2 c tahini
- 1⁄4 c currants
- 1⁄4 c Pine nuts
- 2 t Cinnamon
- 2 t fresh pomegranate kernels (optional)
- Sugar to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- clean cotton towel for assembly
Cooking Topik (topig)
1. This is the most common form of this dish as it is made by Armenians in Istanbul.
2. The day before, put two cups (one normal package) of chick peas into warm water to soak Boil chick peas in a large pot along with the potato.
3. Remove potato when fully cooked and remove skin When chick peas are very soft, strain, and remove skins.
4. (This is a nuisance but to make a smooth mixture it's necessary.
5. Put on your favorite radio station and have at. ) Put chickpeas and potato in a food processor in lots, or mash them till smooth.
6. You may add a tablespoon or so of water to each lot in the food processor to make it process better but keep it to a minimum.
7. Add salt to taste and pepper if desired.
8. Peeli and halve onions, and slice very thin.
9. Put onions in a large non-stick pot and add a tablespoon of water, turn to medium heat and cover.
10. Stiri onions every few minutes till they reduce to about 1/4 of their original volume.
11. Towards the end of the process you will have to stir constantly to avoid burning.
12. The onions will be honey-brown color and quite sweet.
13. To the onions, add the tahini, currants, pine nuts, and cinnamon.
14. Check the sweetness (it should be somewhat sweet but not dessert-like!), and add a 1-2 tablespoons of sugar if you like.
15. Salti and pepper to taste.