- 1⁄3 c olive oil or butter
- 1 small Bunch scallions, chopped
- 3 lb Spinach, washed & drained
- 1 small Bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 small Bunch fresh dill, chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2 lb Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 Commercial filo sheets
- 6 T butter, melted
- Bread crumbs, if necessary
1. Heat the 1/3 cup oil in a large pan and saute the scallions until soft.
2. Meanwhile, pan the spinach (cook it without adding water, then drain it thoroughly) or salt and rinse it (the latter method is used extensively in greece, but it not advisable).
3. Squeeze out excess liquid.
4. Add the spinach to scallions and stir in the parsley, dill, and a very little salt and pepper.
5. Cook gently for 10 minutes, then cool.
6. (this much can be done in advance and stored in the refrigerator).
7. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the feta and eggs.
8. Butteri a 9 x 12 x 3-inch baking pan and in it spread 6 filo sheets, brushing each with melted butter.
9. Pour in the spinach filling, then cover with the remaining filo sheets (buttering each as before).
10. Tuck the top filo over the bottom and flute the edges.
11. Scorei the top 3 filo sheets into square or diamond shapes.
12. Bakei in a moderate oven (350