Sour fish head soup (canh chua dau ca)
Sour fish head soup (canh chua dau ca) ingredients
- 2 Scallions, white part only
- -crushed with the side of a
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t Salt
- 2 T Plus 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- -(nuoc mam)
- 1 large Fish head or fish carcass
- -split down the center
- 1 qt water
- 1⁄2 c Canned sliced sour bamboo
- 1⁄4 Fresh pineapple, cut in a
- -lengthwise section and
- 1 ds MSG (optional)
- 2 T Mixed chopped fresh
- -coriander (Chinese parsley)
- Scallion green
Cooking Sour fish head soup (canh chua dau ca)
1. An excellent way to get twice the pleasure out of your fish purchase.
2. You can use either the fish head of the fish carcass if you wish.
3. To the people of the south, this is as much their traditional dish as southern fried chicken is to our southerners++and it will meet with instant praise sprinkle the scallions, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 4 teaspoons fish sauce over the fish head.
4. Allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil and drop in the sour bamboo and pineapple slices.
6. Cook at a lively boil for 5 minutes.
7. Drop fish head into the actively boiling water and, keeping at a boil, add the 2 tablespoons fish sauce, remaining teaspoon salt, and a dash of msg. Boil the fish head for a total of 10 minutes.
8. Transfer to a soup tureen, sprinkle on the coriander and scallion green, and serve.
9. Note: if the fish head is dropped into water that is not boiling, it will fall apart.
10. Makes 4 servings.