Sfogliatelle Napoletane ingredients
- ---FOR THE PASTRY---
- 2 c flour
- 1 1⁄2 c butter Or margarine
- 2 T Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ---FOR THE FILLING---
- 1 Eggs
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1⁄2 c Superfine sugar
- 1 T Cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 c Hot milk
- 1⁄4 t vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 c Ricotta cheese
- 2 T Candied orange peel; diced
- 1 Eggs, beaten
- Powdered sugar;
Cooking Sfogliatelle Napoletane
1. Combine pastry ingredients, adding enough milk to give dough a soft, elastic consistency.
2. Kneadi well, cover & chill for 30 minutes.
3. FILLING: beat 1 egg & 3 egg yolks with wuperfine sugar, add cornstarch and graduallyl mix in milk and vanilla.
4. Pour into a pan; place over low heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat, allow to cool and mix in ricotta and orange peel.
6. Preheat oven to 375. Roll out pastry on a floured board, then cut into rectangles.
7. Put filling on half the rectangles and cover with remaining rectangles, sealing edges firmly.
8. Brush with beaten egg. Arrange on a greased, floured baking sheet and bake until golden brown.
9. Dusti with powdered sugar.
10. From "The Flavors of Italy.