Pilafi me garides (rice pilaf w/shrimp)
Pilafi me garides (rice pilaf w/shrimp) ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 lb shrimp
- Salt to taste
- 1 ea Med. onion
- 3 ea Stalks of celery
- 1 1⁄2 c Oil
- 1 ea Med. onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lb Tomatoes, peeled, strained OR
- 1 T Tomato paste diluted with:
- 1 c water
- 2 1⁄2 c Raw rice
Cooking Pilafi me garides (rice pilaf w/shrimp)
1. Wash shrimp and put into lge. Pot. Add enough water to cover.
2. Add salt and whole onion and celery, and bring to a boil.
3. Cook for abt. 5 min. remove the shrimp with slotted spoon and reserve liquid.
4. Shell and devein the shrimp.
5. Heat the oil in lge. Pot. Sautei chopped onions until light golden.
6. Add shrimp, turning 2 or 3 times.
7. Add tomatoes (or tomato paste).
8. Cook abt. 5 min. more, then remove shrimp.
9. Set aside and keep warm.
10. Measure liquid in which shrimp were boiled, allowing 2 ½ c. for each cup of rice.
11. Add liquid to the pot with the tomato sauce.
12. Bring to the boil and add the rice.
13. Stiri for the first few minutes to prevent sticking.
14. Cook about 12 to 15 min. until the rice is tender but has not absorbed all of the liquid.
15. Add 2/3 of the shrimp.
16. Mixi well.
17. Remove the pot from the heat.
18. Cover with a clean towel and cover the towel with the lid. Let stand 5 to 10 min. , until all liquid is absorbed.
19. Mold rice into a pyramid shape.
20. Garnishi with remaining shrimp.
21. serves 6-10.