Pets de soeurs ( cinnamon rolls)
Pets de soeurs ( cinnamon rolls) ingredients
- 3 c flour
- 2 T baking powder
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Sugar
- 1⁄2 c Lard
- 1 c Milk
- 2 T butter, softened
- 1 c Brown sugar
- 1 t Cinnamon
- 1 c water
Cooking Pets de soeurs ( cinnamon rolls)
1. To quote the author marie cormier-boudreau, "these pastries which resemble cinnamon rolls, have been made throughout acadia for many, many years.
2. Although they are usually given the colourful name pet de soeurs (literally nun"s fart), they are also be called (sic) rosettes, rondelles, hirondells, bourriques de veilles, bourriques de soeurs or bourriques de viarges (rosettes, slices, swallows, old women"s belly buttons, nun"s belly buttons and virgin"s belly buttons.
3. " sift the dry ingredients together.
4. Blend in the lard to form a coarse mixture.
5. Gradually add the milk until a soft dough is formed.
6. Roll the dough until it is fairly thin, although it should be thicker than a regular pie crust.
7. Butteri the dough with soft butter, cover with ¼ inch of brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon.
8. Roll the dough up like a jelly roll and slice into circles about ½ inch thick.
9. Pour water into a casserole dish.
10. Put the sliced dough into the casserole and bake at 375f for about 30 minutes or until the pets de soeur are golden brown.
11. Variation: cranberry jam may be substituted for the sugar and the cinnamon.