Old-fashioned ginger beer
Old-fashioned ginger beer ingredients
- FOR THE STARTER
- 1⁄2 oz yeast
- 2 t Sugar
- TO FEED THE "PLANT"
- 7 t Ground ginger
- 7 t Sugar
- TO FLAVOUR
- 1 1⁄2 lb Sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
Cooking Old-fashioned ginger beer
1. Stiri, cover and leave in a warm place for 24 hours.
2. This is your starter "plant".
3. Feed the "plant" with 1 teaspoon each of ground ginger and sugar each day. After 7 days strain through a fine sieve.
4. Dissolve the sugar in 2 pints of water.
5. Add the lemon juice and the liquid from the "plant".
6. Dilute with 5 pints of water, mix well and store in corked bottles for at least 7 days.
7. Use strong bottles as pressure may build up which will cause thin bottles to explode.
8. For the same reason use corked bottles rather than those with a more secure closure that will not "give" under pressure.
9. Ross requested a recipe for ginger beer.
10. This is a recipe that i have often used and it produces a really old-fashioned drink.
11. It is quite a long process but well worth the effort.
12. The amount of sugar in the final stage can be varied according to taste.