Milopita ( Greek Apple Pastry )
Milopita ( Greek Apple Pastry ) ingredients
- 1 lb Commercial filo sheets
- 8 Apples*
- 1⁄2 c Sugar
- 1⁄2 t Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 t Allspice
- 1 t Cornstarch
- 1⁄4 c Currants or raisins
- 1⁄2 c Walnuts
- 1⁄2 c butter, melted
- 1 c Powdered sugar;
Cooking Milopita ( Greek Apple Pastry )
1. *Note- Apples should be cored, peeled and chopped.
2. If desired, 2 cups canned apples (drained) may be substituted.
3. Defrost frozen filo to room temperature, 2 to 4 hours.
4. Mixi filling in a bowl tossing ingredients with a spoon.
5. Set aside.
6. Lay 5 sheets filo flat, one on top of each other, with a little melted butter brushed between the sheets.
7. Spread 1 cup of filling along one end. Roll filo over the apple filling so you will have a long filled tube.
8. Foldi side edges over 1/2" so filling won't fall out. Continue rolling.
9. Place in a buttered baking pan or cookie sheet.
10. Brush tops generously with melted butter.
11. Bakei at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
12. Sifti powdered sugar over tops and sides as soon as it is taken out of the oven and while still hot. When cool, cut into 2" pieces and serve.