- 1 lb konafa pastry (found at Arabic or Mediterranean groceries)
- 1⁄2 lb Unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 c Sugar
- 1⁄2 c water
- 1 T Lemon juice
- 1 T Orange blossom water
- Cream filling:
- 4 T Ground rice
- 2 T Sugar
- 2 1⁄2 c Milk
- 1⁄2 c Heavy Cream
- Walnut or pistachio filling:
- 2 c walnuts or pistachios, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 T Sugar
1. Prepare the syrup by combining all ingredients and heating over medium heat.
2. Let simmer until thickened.
3. Stiri in orange blossom water and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
4. Creami filling: Mixi ground rice and sugar to a smooth paste with 1/2 cup milk.
5. Boil the rest of the milk and add the ground rice paste litlle by little stirring continuously.
6. Simmeri until thick.
7. Let cool, add cream and mix well.
8. Walnuti or pistachio filling: Mix the chopped nuts with sugar.
9. Put the konafa pastry in a large bowl and pull apart to separate the strands as much as possible.
10. Pour melted butter over them and work it in thoroughly.
11. Put half of the pastry in a large, deep oven dish.
12. Spread either filling over it evenly.
13. Cover with the remaining pastry and flattening out with the palm of your hand.
14. Bakei at 350 degrees for 45 minutes then increase temperature to 475 degrees for an additional 10-15 minutes longer until it is golden.
15. Remove from the oven and immediately pour the cold syrup over the hot konafa.
16. Serve hot or cold.