Knoepfle- Oder Spaetzleteig (Basic Spaetzle Dough)
Knoepfle- Oder Spaetzleteig (Basic Spaetzle Dough) ingredients
- 500 g flour (4 1/2 cups less 1
- 5 Eggs
- 1 c water
Cooking Knoepfle- Oder Spaetzleteig (Basic Spaetzle Dough)
1. Combine all ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth.
2. One part at a time, force through a spaetzle shaver and let drop straight into boiling water.
3. As soon as the spaetzle rise to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon and rinse in warm water.
4. In olden days, the spaetzle dough was forced through a three- legged sieve, by means of stirring.
5. This resulted in the so- called 'Knoepfle' (little buttons).
6. Another method - more common in the Wuertemberg area - is to put the dough on a wooden board and scraping off small slivers of dough, which then results in elongated spaetzle, similar to the ones produced by a spaetzle press.
7. Serves 4. From: D'SCHWAEBISCH' KUCHE' by Aegidius Kolb and Leonhard Lidel, Allgaeuer Zeitungsverlag, Kempten.