Kiseli kupus (sauerkraut)
Kiseli kupus (sauerkraut) ingredients
- 24 Cabbage heads (solid heads)
- 3 Red peppers, quartered
- 1 Fresh horseradish
- Peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 Box bay leaves
- 1 Garlic head
- 1⁄4 Box dry whole red peppers
- 52 oz Salt (not iodized)
Cooking Kiseli kupus (sauerkraut)
1. Core cabbage and fill with salt.
2. Place, core side up, in large crock.
3. Layer cabbage, above ingredients alternately.
4. When all has been place in crock, cover with large leaves which have been removed from cabbage; fill crock with water.
5. Place a heavy weight on top of cabbage; cover with clean cloth.
6. Should be ready in 40 days.
7. Keep water clean by removing foam each day which will begin to form in about 10 days.