A delicious recipe for the classic homity pie.
Homity Pie ingredients
- 180 g Plain flour
- 115 g butter
- 350 g potatoes (king edwards or similar)
- 450 g Onions chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T Chopped parsley
- 1 T Whole grain mustard
- 2 T drained and rinsed capers, chopped roughly (optional)
- 100 g mature cheddar grated
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T Milk
- Salt and pepper
Cooking Homity Pie
This great old English recipe is an all year round favourite with our family. It can be served either cold with a salad in the summer months, or hot as a winter supper with some homemade baked beans (flageolet beans in a rich velvety tomato sauce).
Preheat the oven to 200 C, Gas Mark 7.
To make the pastry:
1. Roll out the pastry thinly and line either six individual 10cm deep tart tins, or one 30cm deep tart tin.
2. Bakei the pastry blind for 10 minutes if using the smaller tins, 15 minutes if using the one large one.
3. Remove the beans and return the pastry to the oven for 5 minutes.
To make the filling:
1. Boil the potatoes until tender and drain.
2. Sautei the onions in the oil until soft, without browning.
3. Keeping the potatoes in medium sized chunks combine them with the onions, add the butter, parsley, mustard, capers if using, half the cheese, garlic, milk, and season well.
4. Allow this mixture to cool before using to fill the pastry case.
5. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.