Green tomato salsa ii
Green tomato salsa ii ingredients
- 6 Green tomatoes, peeled
- -- cored, seeded
- -coarsley chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apples, peeled
- -- cored, coarsely chopped
- 1 med Onion, peeled and minced
- 2 T Sugar
- 1 small Jalapeno, seeded, deveined
- 2 T Grated ginger
- 2 T Lemon Zest
- 1⁄2 t Salt, plus more to taste
- 1 t Fresh ground pepper
- -- plus more to taste
- 1 c Fresh cilantro, minced
Cooking Green tomato salsa ii
1. Place tomatoes in a large cast-iron skillet.
2. Add apple, onion, sugar, jalapeno, ginger, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
3. Cook over low heat until thickened into a heavy paste, about 35 to 45 minutes.
4. Transfer to a glass or ceramic bowl.
5. Set aside to cool.
6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
7. Just before serving, toss in the minced cilantro and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
8. Yield: about 6 cups, depending on the size of the tomatoes.
9. Colomboi writes: "this is an old recipe from ""the new york times sunday magazine.
10. "" from alice colombo"s 09/21/94 "cook"s corner" column in "the (louisville, ky) courier-journal.
11. " pg.