Fried cooter (soft-shell turtle)
Fried cooter (soft-shell turtle) ingredients
- 2 lb Turtle, cut in 2-4" pieces
- 1⁄2 c Vinegar
- 1 t Salt
- 1⁄2 c flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄4 c Milk, plus
- 1 T Milk
- 2 Eggs; separated
- 2 t Olive oil, or veg. oil
- 1⁄8 t Salt
- Vegatable oil
Cooking Fried cooter (soft-shell turtle)
1. Combine turtle, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
2. Cover with water; simmer 1 hour or until tender.
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Combine flour, milk, egg yolks, olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; mix well.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter.
6. Dip turtle pieces into batter; fry unti golden brown in deep oil heated to 375 degrees.
7. Drain well on paper towels.