- 3 c dried black beans
- 1 lb Carne seca (sun-cured salted beef)
- 2 lb Raw smoked tongue
- 1⁄2 lb Linguica defumada (Portuguese sausage)
- 1⁄2 lb Chuck beef
- 1⁄2 lb Salt pork
- Salt & freshly ground black
- 2 large Cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 t -Shortening
1. Wash the beans well & soak them overnight in water to cover.
2. Soak the dried beef separately in water to cover.
3. Drain the beans.
4. Add 6 cups water & cook, covered, adding water as needed, until the beans are tender, or about 2 1/2 hours.
5. As soon as the beans are cooking, begin adding the other ingredients.
6. Cut the carne seca into 1 1/2" squares & add to the beans.
7. Peeli the tongue & cut it into large cubes.
8. Cover with water & bring to a boil.
9. Simmeri 2 minutes, drain, & add to beans.
10. Prick the sausages with a fork, cover with water, boil a few minutes, drain, & add to the beans.
11. Cut the chuck in half & add to the beans.
12. Cut the salt pork into 1/2" slices & add to the beans.
13. Seasoni the stew with salt & pepper.
14. When the beans are tender, brown the garlic lightly in the shortening.
15. Add about 1 cup of the beans, mash, & return to the large pot of beans.
16. Adjust the seasonings.
17. Remove the pieces of meat to a hot platter & turn the beans into a chafing dish or bowl.
18. Serve with braised pork loin, collards, onions in sauce (recipes below), sweetened orange slices, & hot rice.
19. Cook the rice according to package directions, adding 1 1/2 Tbsp.
20. shortening & 1/2 tsp. vinegar for each 2 cups uncooked, long-grain rice.