Dendeng ragi (coconut beef)
Dendeng ragi (coconut beef) ingredients
Cooking Dendeng ragi (coconut beef)
1. This is an indonesian classic and the quantity should serve 4 with a vegetable side-dish.
2. Sambal and rice.
3. Slice half a kilo of rump steak into thin slices.
4. In a food processor, process together 1 tablespoon of ground coriander, several fresh basil leaves, 1 tablespoon of palm sugar (or substitute brown sugar), ½ teaspoon of instant tamarind paste, 3 cloves of garlic and 3 medium onions.
5. Heat a little oil in a frying pan or wok and gently fry the resulting paste for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
6. Turn up the heat, add the beef to the pan, season and fry over high heat to taste.
7. Set aside.
8. Heat another pan or wok, without oil, and add to it 500 g of freshly grated coconut (or 100 g moistened desiccated coconut) and 2 daun salam leaves (or substitute bay leaves).
9. Turn the heat down immediately and cook gently, stirring, until the coconut is golden (it is very easy to burn this, so watch it like a hawk).
10. Add the meat mixture and stir until the meat is reheated.
11. Remove bay leaves and serve.