Cornmeal or oatmeal scrapple
Cornmeal or oatmeal scrapple ingredients
- 3 lb Lean pork
- 1 Veal knuckle, split
- 2 Medium-size onion, chopped
- 5 t Salt, divided use
- 1 1⁄2 t Black pepper
- 1 t thyme
- 1⁄2 t sage
- 1 t Mace
- 1 lb Oatmeal or 2 2/3 cups
- Cooking oil
Cooking Cornmeal or oatmeal scrapple
1. Put the pork, veal knuckle, onions and 2 teaspoons of the salt into a large pot; cover with water and simmer 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
2. Grindi the meat.
3. Discard the veal knuckle, skim fat from the broth and strain.
4. Return broth to pot and add the ground pork, remaining salt, the pepper, thyme, sage, mace, and the cornmeal.
5. Cook slowly for 1 hour, stirring occasionally so it doesn"t stick.
6. It should cook to a mush.
7. Add more hot water if necessary.
8. Pour into greased loaf pans to cook and harden.
9. To serve, slice thin and fry in a little oil until a crisp brown.