Coquilles St. Jacques Au Gingembre (Scallops with Ginger)
Coquilles St. Jacques Au Gingembre (Scallops with Ginger) ingredients
- 6 oz Puff pastry
- 1 Egg; lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 c Sauterne
- 1 Shallots, minced
- 1 1⁄2 t Minced fresh ginger
- 10 oz Bay scallops
- -OR- Sea scallops, halved (horizontally)
- 3 T Whipping cream
- 3⁄4 c Unsalted butter; chilled,
- -cut into small pieces
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 t Fresh lemon juice
- -OR to taste
- 2 Green onions; sliced -OR-
- 1 small -Leek, in 1/4" thick slices
Cooking Coquilles St. Jacques Au Gingembre (Scallops with Ginger)
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Roll out puff pastry into 10-inch circle 1/4 inch thick.
2. Place on baking sheet and cut out 8-inch circle from center, discarding excess pastry.
3. Brush with egg. Cut concentric circle 1 inch from edge and halfway through pastry.
4. Chill pastry 10 minutes.
5. Bakei 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F and continue to bake until pastry is golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Return oven temperature to 450 F. Carefully lift off pastry cover formed by concentric circle and gently remove moist dough inside shell.
7. Combine wine, shallot and ginger in medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
8. Add scallops and cream and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
9. Remove scallops using slotted spoon.
10. Increase heat to medium-high and cook liquid until reduced to 2 tablespoons, adding any juices drained from scallops.
11. Whiski in all but 1 teaspoon butter 1 piece at a time.
12. Seasoni with salt and pepper.
13. Add lemon juice.
14. Set sauce aside.
15. Melt remaining 1 teaspoon butter in small skillet over high heat.
16. Add green onion and cook 30 seconds.
17. Set aside.
18. Stiri scallops into sauce and heat through.
19. Reheat pastry shell and lid in oven for 2 minutes.
20. To serve, place pastry shell on heated platter and fill with scallop mixture.
21. Sprinkle with green onion and top with pastry lid.