Chocolate chili with pinto beans
Chocolate chili with pinto beans ingredients
- -JUDI M. PHELPS (G.PHELPS1)
- 1 1⁄2 lb Lean pork, diced fine or
- Coarsely ground lean pork
- 1 1⁄2 lb Lean beef, diced fine or
- Coarsely ground lean beef
- 1⁄4 c olive oil
- 5 med Onions, chopped coarse
- 2 c Tomato juice
- 3 c water
- 5 T Chili powder, or to taste
- 3 T Ground cumin
- 3 T Oregano
- 3 T Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 T Cinnamon
- 1 t Salt or to taste, optional
- 2 T garlic, chopped fine
- 3 T White cornmeal
- 2 cn Pinto beans (1 lb each)
- -drained and rinsed
- Onion, chopped
- Shredded lettuce
- flour tortillas
Cooking Chocolate chili with pinto beans
1. In a large saute pan or flameproof caserole, cook the pork and beef over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until both meats lose their pink color but are not browned, about 15 minutes.
2. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in the same pan until rippling and add the onions.
4. Sautei stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 10 minutes.
5. Stiri the reserved meat into the onions.
6. Add the tomato juice, 3 cups of water, the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt (optional).
8. Turn the heat to high and bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
9. Stir occasionally.
10. Taste for seasoning.
11. Add more chili powder if you like your chili really searing.
12. Cook 30 minutes longer.
13. Stir in the garlic, cornmeal, and beans.
14. Simmeri for 10 minutes more until the beans are heated through.
15. Garnishes: chopped onions, grated parmesan, shredded lettuce, or sour cream may be used to garnish.