Chinese silk apples
Chinese silk apples ingredients
- 3 Apples
- 2 Egg whites
- 2 T flour
- 2 T Cornstarch
- Peanut oil for deep frying
- 1⁄2 c Sugar
- 1⁄4 c Honey
- 1⁄3 c water
- 1 T Peanut oil
Cooking Chinese silk apples
1. Quite an experience to eat - the apples is still warm and soft, the top is crunchy and icy. Great after a wok dinner.
2. Peeli the apples, core and cut into wedges about ½ inch thick.
3. Whipi egg whites until frothy.
4. Add flour and cornstarch and beat into a smooth batter.
5. Heat the oil to 375°F.
6. Dip each apple wedge into egg white batter, place in hot oil and try, a few at a time, until crisp and brown.
7. Place in a single layer on a warm service platter.
8. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil in a saucepan and cook to a hard ball stage syrup; 280°F on candy thermometer.
9. Pour over apple wedges and serve at once, accompanied by a large crystal bowl of water containing lots of ice cubes.
10. Each person picks up an apple wedge with a fork or small tongs and dips it into the ice water to crystallize the sugar and harden the top, which forms silk-like threads.
11. hence the name.
12. Serves 6.