Chicken sotanghon ingredients
- 2 Chicken backs to make stock
- 5 c water
- 1 chicken breast, boneless
- -sliced thinly, 2" long
- 8 oz Bean thread noodles OR Cellophane noodles
- 6 large Dried mushrooms
- 1 T Vegatable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 med Onions, sliced
- 1 T Fish sauce (patis)
- 1⁄2 c Annatto water (see below)
- 1 Carrots; sliced thin
- -about 2 inches long
- 1 c Sugar peas
- 4 Stalks green onions, sliced thinly crosswise
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Chicken sotanghon
1. Boil chicken backs in 5 cups water for 25-30 minutes.
2. Seasoni with a little salt.
3. Reserve chicken stock.
4. Soak dried mushrooms in water for 20 minutes, de-stem and slice thinly when doubled in size.
5. Set aside.
6. Soak bean thread noodles in water until soft.
7. Drain and cut into 6-inch length with scissors.
8. Set aside.
9. In a deep nonstick pan over medium heat, saute garlic, in oil until lightly browned.
10. Add onion, cook for 1 minute.
11. Add sliced chicken, mushrooms, carrots, annatto water, fish sauce and a little salt and pepper.
12. Cook for about 8 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked.
13. Add 2-3 cups chicken broth.
14. Bring to a boil, correct seasonings, then add the drained bean thread noodles.
15. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring gently until liquid has been absorbed and noodles are cooked.
16. Be careful not to mash noodles when stirring.
17. Add sweet peas and sliced green onions just before noodles are cooked.
18. Serve immediately.
19. Serves 6-Annato water: 1 tb. annatto (achuete) seeds, ¼ cup water.
20. Soak annatto seeds in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
21. With your fingers, squeeze color out of the seeds in water, until water turns orangy or reddish.
22. Drain liquid into container and discard seeds.