Chayote-black-eyed pea relish
Chayote-black-eyed pea relish ingredients
- 1 small Chayote fruit
- 1 c Black eyed peas -- cooked
- 1 small Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Serrano chile (deribbed) --
- Seeded and minced
- 2 t Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 4 T Mango or papaya -- diced
- 2 Scallions (white part only)
- Thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 c Fresh corn kernels --
- 2 t Lime juice -- freshly
- 2 t White wine -- fine quality
- 2 T Vinaigrette dressing
- Salt to taste
Cooking Chayote-black-eyed pea relish
1. Peeli the chayote, cut in half, and remove the seed with a knife.
2. Cut into ¼-inch dice and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine with the remaining ingredients.
4. Let sit for at least 1 hour.
5. Before serving, check the seasonings and adjust if necessary.
6. Makes about 2 cups of relish.
7. Chef"s notes: stephan pyles, the owner and chef of dallas" hottest new restaurant, star canyon, tells us: "chayote, a green squash about the same shape and size as a large pear, was a staple of the aztecs and mayans, and it is still used extensively in mexican and south american cooking.
8. In louisiana and florida, the chayote is known as "mirliton.
9. " it is more widely available during winter months and has a crisp, crunchy texture and an earthy flavor that suits salsas and relishes very well.