Carroll Shelby's Gourmet Chili
Carroll Shelby's Gourmet Chili ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 lb lean beef -- * see note
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork -- * see note
- 1 c onions -- chopped
- 1 large garlic clove -- finely chopped
- 2 T bacon drippings -- --or, lard
- 1 large green bell pepper -- ** see note
- 15 oz Tomato sauce
- 12 oz beer -- preferably mexican
- 1 pk original texas chili preparation
- 4 oz Green chiles; diced
Cooking Carroll Shelby's Gourmet Chili
1. * or substitute 2 lbs. fresh vension for beef/pork, if desired.
2. ** or substit ute 1/2 green and 1/2 red bell pepper.
3. Cut or grind meat into small pieces coarser than regular ground meat.
4. Pound w ith meat mallet.
5. Combine with onion and garlic and add to heavy, large pot or Dutch oveni with lard or bacon drippings.
6. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is browned and onions is tender, about 6 minutes.
7. Stiri occasionally to keep m eat evenly browned.
8. Add bell pepper, tomato sauce and beer.
9. Simmeri, uncovered , for 30 minutes.
10. Add remaining ingredients except packet of masa flour in Chi more li quid is needed, add beer as desired.
11. Mixi masa flour with a little beer to make a thin paste.
12. Stir masa mixture into chili.
13. Simmer another 30 minutes.
14. Check for taste and add cayenne pepper packet from Chili Preparation, if you dare.
15. Serves 4 to 6.