Blue Corn Tortillas
Blue Corn Tortillas ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 c Blue corn meal
- 1 1⁄2 c Boiling water
- 3⁄4 c All purpose flour; (3/4 to 1)
Cooking Blue Corn Tortillas
1. Recipe by: BAKERS' DOZEN (ALFORD AND DUGUID)SHOW You will need a medium-sized bowl, a griddle or heavy skillet at least 8 inches in diameter, and a rolling pin. Place corn meal in a bowl and pour boiling water over.
2. Stiri to mix well.
3. Let sit for fifteen minutes.
4. Mixi in one-half cup of all purpose flour.
5. Turn this mixture out onto a bread board spread with 1/4 cup of flour.
6. Kneadi for 2 to 3 minutes, incorporating the 1/4 cup of flour into the dough (and if necessary, use a little more).
7. The dough will be soft but not at all strong.
8. Return the dough to the bowl and cover.
9. Let rest for 30 minutes.
10. Divide the dough into eight pieces.
11. Between well-floured palms, make flat round patties out of each of the eight and set aside.
12. Heat your griddle over medium high heat, making sure that it is hot before you cook the first tortilla.
13. On a well-floured surface (as the dough is quite sticky), carefully roll out a tortilla until it is approximately 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
14. (We find it easiest to first pat out the dough with our fingers or between our palms, and then to roll out the tortilla at the very last just to make it uniform in thickness).
15. Cook the tortilla as you would a wheat tortilla, approximately one minute on each side.
16. The tortillas will be flecked with brown on both sides.
17. When cooked, remove and wrap in a kitchen towel.
18. Stack one on top of another.