Black bean and quinoa chili
Black bean and quinoa chili ingredients
- VEGETARIAN TIMES, JAN 95
- 1 c Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 c water
- 1 T Vegetable oil
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 1 Green bell pepper, seeded an
- 1 c Celery, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and
- 2 Tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 c Carrots, diced
- 32 oz black beans, canned, drained
- 28 oz Canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 T Chili powder
- 1 T Dried parsley
- 1 T Dried oregano
- 2 t Ground cumin
- 1⁄2 t Black pepper
- 1⁄2 t Salt
- 4 Green onions, chopped
Cooking Black bean and quinoa chili
1. Combine quinoa and water in saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer over medi heat.
2. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove from he and let stand about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan; add onion, bell pepper, celery and jalapeno.
5. Sautei 7 minutes over medium heat.
6. Stiri in fresh tomatoes and carrots; saute 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Stir in beans, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings; cook about 25 minutes over low heat.
8. Ladle chili into bowls and top with green onions if desired.
9. Makes 8 servin per serving: 201 cal; 8 g prot; 3 g fat; 34 g carb; 0 chol; 40 mg sod; 8 g fiber; vegan.