- 2 1⁄2 lb Mochi rice (5 ½ cups)
- 5 1⁄2 c water
- 1 cn (13 oz) coconut milk
- 1 lb Dark brown sugar
- Banana leaves
1. In a rice cooker or large saucepan, rinse rice; drain.
2. Add water and cook rice.
3. In a saucepan, combine coconut milk and 1 ¼ cups of the brown sugar.
4. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
5. Wilt banana leaves over low heat on electric surface unit or in microwave oven; line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Preheat electric oven to 350°F.
6. Stiri remaining brown sugar into the hot rice; mix well.
7. Reserving ½ cup coconut milk mixture, stir remainder into rice.
8. Put into prepared pan. Pour the reserved ½ cup coconut milk mixture over rice.
9. Bakei for 20 minutes then broil for 5 minutes to brown top. Cool and cut into serving pieces.
10. Makes 45 servings.
11. (april 1995).