Coconut Flavoured Meringue
Submitted by Real Food Direct on January 14, 2009.
- 1 Bottle Mangoi & Passion Fruit Coulisi 1 1/4 tsp each of cornflour
- vanilla essence & white wine vinegar (combined together to a paste)
- 4 egg whites
- 225g(8oz) caster sugar
- 75g(3oz) desiccated coconut
- 300ml(1/2pt) double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150c/Gas2.
- Line a baking tray with non stick baking paper.
- Whiski egg whites into soft peaks, then whisk in sugar, about 1 dessert spoon at a time, with a little of the cornflour mixture at each addition. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Foldi in the coconut.
- Spoon mixture onto baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bakei for about 50 minutes until crisp on the outside but still soft inside.
- Remove from oven and cover loosely with a clean tea-towel or foil for 15 minutes.
- Whisk cream until it holds its shape then fold in about 1/2-3/4 bottle of Mango & Passion Fruit Coulis.
- Turn the meringue out onto a large sheet of greaseproof paper, on a clean work surface, and carefully peel back the baking paper.
- Leave it to go cold then spread over a thick layer of the flavoured cream.
- Use the paper to help you gently roll up the roulade from one of the shorter ends and transfer it to a plate to serve.
- Swirl the remaining coulis over the roulade or hand it round separately.